The church of “S. Maria del Soccorso” (Saint Mary of the Succour) or so called the “Chiesa della Riforma” (Church of the Reformation), annexed to the Dominican convent (later the Reformed Franciscans Convent), dates back to the sixteenth century, having been built in 1510, date printed on the façade on the right of the rose window.
Opened to the public in 1998, the Civic Archaeological Museum of Cirò Marina is arranged over two floors and collects both material recovered from the early 70s of last century by the local Archeological club and also other finds, like object from the systematic excavations of the Authority for Archaeological Heritage of Calabria.
Cirò Marina, Apollo Alaios Sanctuary at the promontory of Punta Alice
The sanctuary of Punta Alice, that according to the sources was dedicated to Apollo Alaios from Philoctetes, was long sought for, but only discovered in the twenties, during the works carried out at the Mesola di S. Paolo, by the Independent Consortium of the Cooperatives of Ravenna within of the works aimed at draining the marshes that had made the Calabrian coast inhospitable and unhealthy
Welcome to the Cathedral Basilica of Crotone, named after the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and under the protection of Saint Dionysus. The present structure is located in the square from which you can access the historical centre, from where once there was the door of the surrounding walls from which one could enter the town. On the right side of the façade of the Cathedral there is the bell tower, structured on two levels and covered by a vault. The perspective drawing has maintained its neo-renaissance layout, given to it at the of the 19th Century.
Probably built at the beginning of the 9th Century a. C. with the purpose of defending the city from the Saracens attacks and completely restored during the reign of Charles V, the Castle of Crotone represents a unique example among the Medieval and Renaissance fortresses, because it highlights the transformation which occurred in the military architecture with the transition from the pouncing defence (circular towers overlooking the hinterland) to the grazing defence (ramparts overlooking the sea).
The church of the Immacolata is a church located in the historic centre of Crotone in Piazza Immacolata. The first version of the building was built in the sixteenth century. After the destruction of the church, the present building was erected in the eighteenth century according to the neoclassical style then in vogue.
Situated nearby the “Piscaria” area in the lower part of Crotone’s old town, the church, dedicated to St. Mary, was originally a mere benefice and therefore named after the name of the founder of the Protospathari family, who built it during the XVI century.
In the upper part of Crotone’s old town, in the square named “Castello” (Castle) where the medieval entrance to the sixteenth century stronghold is found, one can see the church dedicated to the Holy Saviour.
Crotone, Marian feasts in honor of the Madonna di Capo Colonna
The Marian feasts in honor of the Madonna di Capo Colonna are celebrated every year in the month of May, and every seven years with particular solemnity. The highlight is the nightly pilgrimage on the third Sunday of May with the arrival to the Capo Colonna promontory.
The Crotone National Archaeological Museum is an archaeological museum run by the General Directory of Archaeology and the Ministry of Heritage and Culture, through the Authority of Archaeology of Calabria and is located in the medieval town, corresponding to the acropolis of ancient Kroton. The director is Gregorio Aversa who is also responsible for the protection and archaeological research in the territory of Crotone and the Sila.
A palace with a closed courtyard, which dates from the eighteenth century, as clearly it appears the elements with a double row of important high arches in one of the sides facing the court which is a characteristic of the Neapolitan eighteenth century style.
Among the major archaeological sites in Calabria, Capo Colonna has always been linked to the history of Crotone. During the Greek and Roman times it was called the Lacinium headlands and was the site of a sanctuary dedicated to Hera, whose fame and wealth are mentioned in ancient literary sources.
It is the premises of the Town Hall Square and is dedicated to the resistance movement, decisive for the liberation of Italy from the Nazi-Fascist regime. A little over the 39th parallel of latitude there is Crotone, a charming town situated in an enviable geographic position for overlooking the Ionian Sea, for the Esaro river running through it and for its mild climate: "relic of the ancient city that was located here and was in its splendor in the days of Ancient Greece.
It is the heart of Crotone, the point of union between the walled city and the consolidated city. It is the hub of the urban structure and life of the city, a hub from which you can reach the city's waterfront, the Basilica Cathedral, the historical centre and Resistence Square, home to the town hall.
Songwriter born in Crotone, Rino Gaetano is remembered in the square in front of the marina. "He wrote songs overflowing vitality, satirical rhymes, touching ballads. His most famous song is 'Gianna', thanks to which he finished third at the Sanremo Festival in 1978 "
Isola Capo Rizzuto, The Village and the Church of San Marco
In the historical center of Isola Capo Rizzuto it is still possible to see important remains of the feudal castle built and enlarged by the Neapolitan feudal Lord Giovanni Antonio Ricca, Lord of the Island from 1513 to 1555.
Archaeological finds recall the presence of a sacred building from Magna Graecia located in this area, and around the year 1000 the presence of a rural sanctuary of Greek rite then dedicated to St. Anne, patroness of motherhood, women in labor, and fertility.
Isola Capo Rizzuto, Church of the Virgin of the Assumption or Ad Nives
The former Cathedral of Isola di Capo Rizzuto, dedicated to the Virgin of the Assumption or Ad Nives, rises from the outside of the 16th Century walls that circumscribe the urban nucleus of Isola, constructed in the course of the 16th Century by Giovanni Antonio Ricca, lord of the place.
In Isola Capo Rizzuto, the first Friday of May, at the end of the solemn novena of preparation celebrated at the Duomo, the icon is "dropped" from the safe custody of the Chapel of the ’Madonna Greca’ and shown to the people that await it in Piazza Duomo.
The Barraco Palace of Isola di Capo Rizzuto, now the Town Hall, was one of the most important residences of the Barraco , a family of ancient origins among the most prominent in Calabria and the Kingdom of Naples, cultured and educated, accustomed to political roles and administrative functions.
Le Castella, The Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church
The Church of la Visitazione della Beata Vergine Maria (the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary), located in the center of Le Castella, has a gable roof, a linear façade and a finely sculpted stone portal,