Welcome to the Cathedral Basilica of Crotone, named after the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and under the protection of Saint Dionysus; the present structure is located in the square from which you can access the historical centre, from where once there was the door of the surrounding walls from which one could enter the town. On the right side of the fašade of the Cathedral there is the bell tower, structured on two levels and covered by a vault. The perspective drawing has maintained its neo-renaissance layout, given to it at the of the 19th Century.
Probably built at the beginning of the 9th Century a. C. with the purpose of defending the city from the Saracens attacks and completely restored during the reign of Charles V, the Castle of Crotone represents a unique example among the Medieval and Renaissance fortresses, because it highlights the transformation which occurred in the military architecture with the transition from the pouncing defence (circular towers overlooking the hinterland) to the grazing defence (ramparts overlooking the sea).
The church of the Immacolata is a church located in the historic centre of Crotone in Piazza Immacolata. The first version of the building was built in the sixteenth century. After the destruction of the church, the present building was erected in the eighteenth century according to the neoclassical style then in vogue.
Situated nearby the Piscaria area in the lower part of Crotones old town, the church, dedicated to St. Mary, was originally a mere benefice and therefore named after the name of the founder of the Protospathari family, who built it during the XVI century.
In the upper part of Crotones old town, in the square named Castello (Castle) where the medieval entrance to the sixteenth century stronghold is found, one can see the church dedicated to the Holy Saviour.
It is the heart of Crotone, the point of union between the walled city and the consolidated city. It is the hub of the urban structure and life of the city, a hub from which you can reach the city's waterfront, the Basilica Cathedral, the historical centre and Resistence Square, home to the town hall.
Songwriter born in Crotone, Rino Gaetano is remembered in the square in front of the marina. "He wrote songs overflowing vitality, satirical rhymes, touching ballads. His most famous song is 'Gianna', thanks to which he finished third at the Sanremo Festival in 1978 "
The sanctuary of Santa Maria di Capo Colonna is located near the archaeological site of Capo Colonna, on Lacinio promontory, in Crotone, close to the surviving column of the temple dedicated to Hera Lacinia.
The tradition tells many legends about the foundation of the ancient Kroton. The most popular legend starring Myskellos of Rhype that, after obtaining the role of ecista, consulted the oracle at Delphi, who indicated the most suitable site to found the colony. Diodorus then tells (Diodorus, VIII, 17) that the Delphic oracle, pointing to Myskellos Rhype of the boundaries of the territory in which it should have based the Achaean colony of Kroton, urged him not to leave Lacinio, nor the sacred Krimisa nor by Esaro river.
Isola Capo Rizzuto, The Village and the Church of San Marco
In the historical center of Isola Capo Rizzuto it is still possible to see important remains of the feudal castle built and enlarged by the Neapolitan feudal Lord Giovanni Antonio Ricca, Lord of the Island from 1513 to 1555.
Archaeological finds recall the presence of a sacred building from Magna Graecia located in this area, and around the year 1000 the presence of a rural sanctuary of Greek rite then dedicated to St. Anne, patroness of motherhood, women in labor, and fertility.
Isola Capo Rizzuto, Church of the Virgin of the Assumption or Ad Nives
The former Cathedral of Isola di Capo Rizzuto, dedicated to the Virgin of the Assumption or Ad Nives, rises from the outside of the 16th Century walls that circumscribe the urban nucleus of Isola, constructed in the course of the 16th Century by Giovanni Antonio Ricca, lord of the place.
The Barraco Palace of Isola di Capo Rizzuto, now the Town Hall, was one of the most important residences of the Barraco , a family of ancient origins among the most prominent in Calabria and the Kingdom of Naples, cultured and educated, accustomed to political roles and administrative functions.
For its landscapes, which aroused admiration among ancient travelers, Le Castella was the subject of many legends and even, according to some scholars the island of Calypso , described by Homer in his Odyssey , would be located just nearby.
Le Castella, The Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church
The Church of la Visitazione della Beata Vergine Maria (the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary), located in the center of Le Castella, has a gable roof, a linear fašade and a finely sculpted stone portal,